It’s a fact that Australia is usually hot, with a sunlight intensity that’s above average. As a result, many people in Melbourne receive high exposure to UV rays, which can lead to harmful skin damage such as sunburn and skin cancer. Because of this, it’s recommended that you arrange mole mapping on a regular basis to ensure your health isn’t at risk. This article will focus on mole mapping in Melbourne, providing more information on what it is and its importance.
What is Mole Mapping?
Mole mapping is a medical procedure that sees a doctor use a device to photograph any skin moles or lesions. The photos are usually digitally taken in high resolution so the dermatologist can get a closer look at the skin. The digital photos can be highly magnified through digital dermoscopy.
With the magnified copy, a dermatologist can get an unobstructed view of the structure of the skin. In addition, a digital mole map can be kept in a patient’s medical profile for future reference. This means your doctor can have something to refer to in case a mole changes over time.
The Importance of Regular Mole Mapping in Melbourne
- Mole mapping helps to determine changes to the skin structure which may indicate skin cancer
- With mole mapping, cancerous lesions can be identified and removed in time before they threaten your life
- Mole mapping can be used to prevent skin cancer from spreading
- If the test is done on a full body scale, it’s possible to identify many different types of suspicious lesions. Such lesions can develop without the knowledge of the patient
- Mole mapping in Melbourne allows doctors to identify cancerous moles in their early stages, helping to improve treatment success rates
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Should Get Mole Mapping Done?
There are no guidelines as to who should get a mole map done. However, it’s recommended for all Australians who receive a lot of sun exposure. You should also arrange mole mapping if you’ve had a bad sunburn, you have a history with skin cancer, or you have a large number of moles on your body.
Can I Mole Map Myself with My Phone?
While it’s possible to keep track of moles on your skin yourself by drawing a map of your skin and taking photos of moles, it’s easy to miss things. When a professional conducts a mole map, you can be sure of a thorough result. Mole mapping in Melbourne is essential for monitoring your skin and looking after your health, so it’s important that it’s done properly.
Can Moles Be Removed?
Moles can indeed be removed from the skin whether they’re cancerous or not. If a mole causes you any discomfort or you wish to remove one for aesthetic reasons, you can arrange to have it removed by a doctor. Removal is necessary if the mole shows suspicious signs of skin cancer, in which case it should be removed as soon as possible.